Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Canoeing Algonquin, again...



My son and I returned "up north" this summer to canoe the wilderness of Algonquin Provincial Park. This was our second canoe trip. Besides enjoying nature, seeing a beaver (!) and canoeing peaceful lake waters, I had a chance to be with my son. As he gets older (9 yrs!), I feel that my time to connect with him is rapidly fleeting. He is nearly a decade old and the years have flown by. In ten more years he may be moving out of the house, going to college or university, getting married, having babies...

Three days we were together, alone, camping and canoeing, breaking bread together, swimming, talking, reading. My prayer is that he will cherish these times. I know I will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

neal keeps telling me I would love it here.
I have never gone, and his time off is so seldom ...
we dream
we live vicariously

Jeremy W. Johnston said...

Living vicariously will spare you from being mauled by a bear... although they say I am more likely to die as a result of a bee stinging me while I am being attacked by a dog while I am struck by lightning while I am involved in a 14 car pile-up on highway 400. There may also be a shark attack in the ratio; I don't remember... Nevertheless, my soul is prepared.