Thursday, April 24, 2008

So many poets, so little time...

Last Sunday, I began a seminar series at my church called “The Christian and Literature.” I attempted to make a case for Christians fostering a poetic imagination and viewing the world as “story”—God’s story.

This Sunday, I will continue the series by looking at poetry. John Piper writes, “Imagination is like a muscle. It grows stronger when you flex it. And you must flex it… Imagination is also contagious… So I suggest that you hang out with people (mainly dead poets) who are full of imagination.”

Piper recommends Christians spend time with some dead poets. So, that is the plan. Some dead poets I hope to take a look at are Isaac Watts (who penned over 700 hymns), George Herbert (one of C.S. Lewis’s favourite poets), John Donne, John Keats, William Blake, William Wordsworth, Langston Hughes, Robert Herrick and a handful of others. We may also take a peek at Milton and an excerpt from Beowulf.

There is so much rich and rewarding poetry… where to begin?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though you always feel pressed for time I am greatly enjoying your teaching and I am learning! Press on fair pilgrim. L.

Jessica said...

Donne.. Donne.. always begin with Donne..

Jeremy W. Johnston said...

Hey Jess,

I am afraid I only managed to look at one Donne poem...

Jessica said...

That is not nearly enough Jeremy! What poem was it??

Jeremy W. Johnston said...

I know...

The poem we looked at... Holy Sonnet X "Death be not proud..."

If I do something like this again, do you recommend any Donne poems that ought to be done...

Jer